The TR2 originated with Sir John Black, managing director of the Standard Motor Co. Ltd., Triumph’s owner. Using corporate parts he had a prototype sports roadster built. Called the Triumph TR1, it was introduced at the 1952 London Motor Show. The TR2 evolved from this car.
The TR2 used a twin SU carburetor version of the 121 cid (1991 cc) four-cylinder Standard Vanguard engine tuned to increase its output to 90 bhp (67 kW).[2][4] The body was mounted on a substantial separate chassis with coil-sprung independent suspension at the front and a leaf spring live axle at the rear. Either wire or disc wheels could be supplied. The standard transmission was a four-speed manual unit but overdrive was available on top gear as an option. Lockheed drum brakes were fitted all round.
The TR2 was designed to challenge MG in relation of a proper sports car. Engineer Grinham and race driver Ken Richardson modified the engine in which the speed record was broke with a speed record of 124mph using the prototype TR2 MVC 575 at Jabbeke in Belgium in May 1953. THE TR2 took its first rally success in a Welsh event with its first international success coming in the 1954 Rac-Rally. There followed a string of successes in the Mille Miglia and Alpine rallies.

Ken-Richardson copy