The MG T series included the TA, TB, TC, TD, and TF Midget models, a range of body-on-frame convertible sports cars produced in a sequence from 1936 to 1955. The last of these models, the TF, was replaced by the MGA.

The TF name was reinstated in 2002 on the mid-engined MG TF sports car.

TF and TF 1500 Midget

The TF Midget, launched 15 October 1953,[10] was a facelifted TD, fitted with the TD Mark II engine, headlights faired into the fenders, a sloping radiator grille concealing a separate radiator, and a new pressurized cooling system along with a simulated external radiator cap.[1] This XPAG engine’s compression ratio had been increased to 8.1 to 1 and extra large valves with stronger valve springs and larger carburettors increased output to 57.5 b.h.p. at 5,500 r.p.m.[10]

In mid-1954 the engine capacity was increased by 17% to 1466cc and designated XPEG. The bore was increased to 72 mm (2.8 in) and compression raised to 8.3:1 giving 63 bhp (47 kW) at 5,000 rpm and a 17% increase in torque. The car was now designated TF1500 and externally distinguished by a cream background enamel nameplate on both sides of the bonnet, placed just to the rear of the forward bonnet release-buttons.

Production ended at chassis number TF10100 on 4 April 1955 after 9,602 TFs had been manufactured, including two prototypes and 3,400 TF1500s. The TF was superseded by the MGA.